Being arrested is an experience most people want to avoid. When you are arrested for a crime like DUI, it can be an incredibly emotional experience. Most people focus on the criminal penalties and financial cost of a DUI conviction. However, there are many emotional costs and struggles that arise from this experience as well.
Emotional Cost of Getting a DUI
When you are unexpectedly arrested for and charged with DUI, it’s natural to feel a range of emotions starting at your initial DUI stop.
In some capacity, you will typically feel:
- Guilt and remorse
If you were involved in a DUI accident, you may also struggle with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) in the future.
PTSD can cause:
- Mood swings
- Difficulty remembering the accident
- Severe anxiety
Coping After a DUI Arrest
If you find yourself struggling emotionally after a DUI arrest, try some of these tips to help get your mental health back on track.
- Don’t turn to alcohol: if you turn to alcohol to help you through this tough time, it could end up leading to more trouble. Instead, try to stay sober and find other ways to cope.
- Seek counseling: talking to a professional therapist or counselor can help you sort through your thoughts and feelings. They can also give you personalized tips for how to get through this trying time in your life.
- Talk to your friends and family: seek support from your loved ones during this time. These are the people who know you best and they can help keep you grounded throughout this experience.
- Hire a defense attorney: you’ll feel better knowing that you have an experienced DUI defense attorney on your side. They can help shoulder some of the burden of your case and provide valuable insight about how to get the best possible outcome.
Wisconsin DUI Defense
If you are facing DUI charges, contact our team at Melowski & Singh, LLC. We don’t settle for anything less than providing the absolute best defense for our clients. We are here for you each step of the way.